As we get closer to baby, I have felt more pressure to make sure we are prepared to be tired and not wanting to do anything. One of the ways I’ve been doing this is by preparing meals for us in the freezer. So far I’ve gotten about a week and a half of meal prepping in the freezer and have a few more things on the agenda for the weekend.
This week has been crazy busy at work, our new director is in town along with his boss so there have been some busy nights. Also had a doctor’s appointment this week so we’ve been on the go.
Since we’ve been so busy my prep of food ahead of time has been helpful keeping us making at least some good decisions regarding what goes in our mouth. This one is perfect for my need of a second breakfast at work – veggie breakfast burritos. They’re super easy, all made in one pot.
The best thing about this recipe is that it makes at least 8 burritos. If you use smaller tortillas you can get more. And the best thing is that they can be frozen! Freezer meals are the best, especially right now since we’re getting ready for baby!
These can be modified to include whatever veggies you want: broccoli, peppers, onion, mushroom, tomato, spinach, etc. I modified this recipe from Kristine’s Kitchen to change the preparation and the vegetable mix.
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 10 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
2 tbsp oil
1 diced onion
1 broccoli crown, cut into small florets
1 orange bell pepper
1 red bell pepper
1/2 cup medium salsa
3 cups shredded Mexican cheese
burrito shells (at least 8)
- Heat olive oil in a dutch oven or large skillet
- Add all the vegetables and sauté until they’re tender and onions are translucent
- Mix eggs together while vegetables are cooking
- Add eggs to vegetables as well as salsa and mix together, scramble the eggs while mixing everything together
- Once eggs are cooked, take skillet/dutch oven off the heat and get cheese and shells ready for assembly
- Add about 1/2 cup of filling with 1/3 cup of shredded cheese to burrito shell
- Fold the bottom first, then the sides, finally roll the burrito closed – being careful to not rip the burrito shell
- Either freeze individually or serve fresh
Let me know what you think of the recipe! Try out some different vegetables and let me know what your favorite mix is.