If you enjoy tacos or burritos you’ll LOVE this addition. This tofu chicken taco filling is a ‘meaty’ textured protein add in for vegan and plant-based burritos, tacos, and burrito bowls. I love using tofu for meals because it can be used like meat in SO many ways. It’s unflavored and can be shredded, cubed, crumbled, or even blended and it’s very affordable in comparison to meat alternatives and meat. We use air fried tofu in a number of recipes, make tofu scrambles, silken tofu can be great for pudding like desserts, and this is a great use for a ‘sofrita’ style burrito and taco addition.
Chipotle has had sofritas for years and while they are good, going out to Chipotle is expensive, and I was happy to make a similar version at home. This grated tofu recipe gives it a more chicken texture than ground beef, and it keeps well making it great for meal prep!
What you’ll love about this vegan tofu taco filling?
- It’s a great homemade version of plant-based meat alternatives. Plant-based chicken products at the grocery store are pricy and typically full of ingredients that aren’t good for you.
- An inexpensive protein! Tofu is very affordable and very versatile. It’s a staple in our house because of this. Coming in under $2.00 per block that feeds a family of 4 (two smaller kids) you can’t go wrong.
- It’s delicious and versatile. Not only does this go great on tacos, but it works in burritos, burrito bowls, and other types of Mexican inspired meals (think taco salads, tostadas, etc.).
- It is great for meal prep. Make two or three batches and eat it all week!
How to make this vegan tofu taco filling?
- Start by pressing the tofu. I use a tofu press but you can just place a cheese cloth over them and use a heavy object. The longer you press the more liquid that comes out.
- Preheat oven to 350F.
- Use a cheese grater and grate on the large side.
- Mix with oil, soy sauce, and spices and then spread on a lined tray. Bake for 30 minutes (more if it isn’t starting to get crispy).
- While the tofu is baking, chop the onion, and blend up the tomato. You can use tomato sauce in place of this, but a fresh blended tomato is always the perfect amount.
- Cook the onion until it starts to brown and then add garlic. Cook until the raw garlic smell is gone (in total onion and garlic takes about 7 minutes to cook over medium heat on our cooktop).
- Add the spices and tomato. Then cook until tomato reduces some (about 2-3 minutes).
- Stir in the pineapple juice and soy sauce. Cook about 5 minutes or until thick.
- Mix in the tofu and ensure sauce is well incorporated. Taste and adjust spices as needed.
Vegan Tofu Taco Filling
- 1 block tofu
- 1 tbsp oil
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander powder
- 2-3 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 onion
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tomato pureed
- ¼ cup soy sauce
- ½ cup pineapple juice
Prepare the Tofu
- Preheat oven to 350°F
- Press the tofu then grate with a cheese grater.
- Stir in olive oil, soy sauce, and spices in a bowl. Spread the tofu on a lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until the sides start to crisp up.
Prepare the Sauce
- Heat pan over medium heat and add oil. Cook the onion until it starts to brown and then add the garlic. Cook until the raw garlic smell starts to go away (total about 5-7 minutes).
- Add in the tomato puree and spices. Cook for another 3 minutes to allow the tomato to start to bubble. Then add in the soy sauce and pineapple juice.
- Allow this to bubble for a few minutes until it thickens and then stir in the tofu. Cook for another 2-3 minutes to allow the tofu to absorb the flavor of the sauce.
- Remove from heat and serve as tacos, burritos, burrito bowls, or however you'd use taco meat.
Let me know what you thought of this in the comments below. Thanks for reading! I hope you enjoy your meal prep.