With the summer weather in full swing, we’re looking for any excuse to cool off. My old go-to was ice cream. We were always heading to Dairy Queen for a hot fudge sundae or mini-blizzard. Since we’ve been doing some learning about the sugar industry and how abundant sugar is in EVERYTHING. Since watching several documentaries and learning more, we’ve been trying to maintain a vegan diet as much as possible, and cut processed foods and added sugar. That’s where this nice cream obsession has come from.
Since we’ve gotten some nice kitchen tools (Vitamix blender, food processor), we’ve been able to make these some of these foods. I tried banana nice cream in our blender and was so surprised how well it turned out. Since that first success, I’ve been experimenting with all the different ingredients and flavor combinations. This strawberry banana combo came from us buying too many strawberries at Costco and me not wanting them to go bad. 😛
That being said, I froze some and threw them in with the bananas and some vanilla extract. To aid with blending, I used a small amount of almond milk being the blender doesn’t like pure frozen fruit with nothing else. Don’t over-do it though cause it’ll turn into a smoothie consistency.
Reasons You’ll Love Strawberry Banana Nice Cream
- It has no added sugar. Added sugar is found in almost every processed food, dessert recipe, and even foods you’d never expect it in.
- It’s vegan! Plant-based milk and fruits is all you need to make this recipe. Don’t worry about taking a special trip to the grocery store. You might already have this stuff in your freezer.
- It could be used for a smoothie bowl. Add more plant based milk for a thinner consistency that would be great for a smoothie bowl topped with sliced fruit, shredded coconut, sliced almonds, and chia seeds.
- You can serve it fresh as soft serve, or let it set in the freezer for a more traditional style that you can scoop.
This made two generous servings, or could be 3-4 smaller servings if you don’t want to pig out. But in my opinion, it’s fruit, why not enjoy the serving size I wanted back when I used to go to Dairy Queen on a regular basis.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Freeze Time: ~2 hours (I usually do overnight)
Total Time: 7 minutes (plus freeze time)
Yield: 2 large servings
2 large bananas (cut and frozen)
2/3 cup frozen strawberries (sliced or whole is fine)
1/2 cup milk (whatever plant based milk is fine)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Slice and freeze bananas and strawberries
- Add all ingredients to blender or food processor
- Blend until smooth
- Scoop and serve as soft serve or freeze 15 minutes to an hour to allow to set and then serve as firmer ice cream
Protein: 1.9 g
Fat: 1.3 g
Carbs: 36.2 g
Fiber: 4.3 g
Sugar: 21.7 g (5 g from milk, the rest is fruit sugar)
Hope you enjoy this delicious snack! We sure do. Let me know if you have any questions or have any suggestions.