Although the weather here may not seem like it, fall is here. Back home they’re getting freezing temperatures and harvesting the last of gardens, which means it’s time to enjoy the flavors of fall! This vegan apple cinnamon bread is one of the flavors that will always remind me of fall. Apples start to become abundant this time of year so it’s the perfect time to enjoy them in many ways. If you haven’t tried apple bread yet, this one is my favorite fruit bread yet!
Being we’re new to the area and don’t know many people yet, I’ve found myself with an abundance of time to bake while our little one is sleeping. Dessert bread has been one of my favorite things to make being it’s a healthier dessert and I can share it with her with less guilt. We haven’t really given her a lot of sugar yet, so this is great so we don’t feel like we’re restricting her.
What you’ll love about this easy vegan apple cinnamon bread?
- It’s light on sugar. Most dessert breads have a lot of added sugar, but just 6.5 tbsp is all that’s in this. You can also substitute maple syrup in place of coconut sugar for a refined sugar-free version. Just make sure to watch the consistency of the batter.
- A healthier dessert. I love dessert bread because they are generally a little healthier than traditional cake or cookies. This recipe is one I give some to my daughter guilt-free!
- Keeps in the fridge. I hate making a good loaf and having it get moldy right away before we get to enjoy it. This one keeps in the fridge for 5 days!
How to make this healthy vegan cinnamon apple bread?
- Start by preheating the oven to 350ºF and greasing a loaf pan.
- Peel and chop 2 apples.
- Mix the flaxseed and warm water in a small cup or bowl and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, mix together all the liquid ingredients except the flax mixture and the milk.
- Next mix in the spices, salt, and baking soda. Fold in the flour, taking care not to overmix or it’ll get tough.
- Fold in the milk and then most of the apples leaving a few to top the loaf.
- Mix together the sugar and cinnamon. Pour the batter into the pan and spread it evenly across the top. Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar and the apples over the top. Press them into the loaf.
- Bake for 55 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Watch the center to ensure it bakes thoroughly. If the center dips at all when you remove it from the oven, continue to bake for about 10 minutes.
- Allow it to cool, slice, and enjoy! You can also cover this and store in the fridge for up to 5 days, or freeze it and store for up to 3 months.
Vegan Cinnamon Apple Bread
- 1.5 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 4 tbsp warm water
- 6 tbsp brown sugar or coconut sugar
- ½ cup melted coconut oil
- 2 tbsp Greek Yogurt lots of non-dairy options, use what you can find!
- 1 tbsp plant-based milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 2 apples, chopped Use medium sized (the average honeycrisp is much larger than other varieties). I use red delicious, but other baking varieties will work well.
- 1.5 cups wheat flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
Cinnamon Sugar Topping
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ½ tbsp granulated sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a loaf pan.
- Mix together the flax and warm water in a small cup and set aside.
- Peel and chop the apples.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together the oil, sugar, vanilla, greek yogurt, and milk. Once they're all stirred together, mix in the flaxseed mixture.
- Next mix the baking soda, cinanmon, nutmeg, and salt.
- Finally, with a spatula, fold in the wheat flour. Don't over mix or the bread gets tough. Once the flour is well incorporated, fold in the chopped apples. Leave about 2 tbsp out for topping the bread.
- Pour the batter (or doughish batter) into the greased loaf pan and spread evenly. Sprinkle the remaining apples over the top.
- Mix together the cinnamon sugar ingredients and pour this over the top of the bread. Lightly press it all down so it bakes into the bread.
- Bake for about 55 minutes (you can check starting at 50, but you need to make sure a toothpick or a fork comes out clean when its poked. You also want to make sure the top doesn't sink down, even if the toothpick comes out clean but the center sinks, you will need to continue to bake for around another 10 minutes or so. If it sinks, the top middle of the loaf will be soggy.
- Remove from the heat, allow to cool, slice and enjoy!
Did you make a loaf of this delicious vegan apple cinnamon bread? I’d love to know your thoughts in the comments below. Also if you have time to leave a star review, that helps me continue to improve. Thank you for reading!
Pingback: 17 Healthy Holiday Breakfasts You Can Make Ahead ~
Pingback: The Best Cinnamon Bread Recipes - Femina Unique
Pingback: 31 Vegan Christmas Breakfast Recipes | Plant Based And Broke
Pingback: The Best Apple Bread Recipes - Femina Unique