Since becoming a mom, I’ve become more dependent than I’d like to admit on caffeine and this easy vegan cashew cream. That said, my intake of cream or half and half has gone through the roof. Not that I have to worry about cholesterol since we eat primarily plant based, I wanted to cut dairy out of my diet to see if it was impacting my daughter’s infant exczema. Between cream and cheese, it’s been difficult, but finding alternatives is very helpful.
I’m a sucker for cold brew coffee with cream. My go to was always the iced crafted press from Caribou or the vanilla sweet cream cold brew from Starbucks. Both these bad boys kept me alive while in the newborn stages. I’m so thrilled that I’ve learned how to make them both at home, and now vegan with this easy vegan cashew cream.
What you’ll love about easy vegan cashew cream?
- It’s great in coffee. Skip the pre-made cream and make your own. You can sweeten it as much or as little as you want, and you know exactly what is going into your food. It tastes better than store bought, and it’s free of added chemicals.
- It is a substitute for half and half or cream in baked goods. Don’t be deterred by a recipe that calls for heavy cream or half and half. Use this instead. I’m personally not a huge fan of coconut milk so this is a perfect alternative.
- No cholesterol. If you are concerned about your cholesterol, this plant based cream is a great option. Plants are free of cholesterol.
- It’s easy to make. All you need to do is soak and blend. No stovetop boiling or anything required.
- You can make it as thick as you’d like. Use a closer ratio or cashews to water or more cashews than water to get a thicker cream. You can always add more water to get it closer to your desired texture.
How to make this vegan cream?
- Soak the cashews in water for at least 4 hours. They should be soft if you squish them.
- Drain the water out of the cashews and add them to a high performance blender. Add the water as well.
- Pulse until you get a smooth milk. It should take about 20 seconds or so.
- Add the maple syrup and the vanilla extract. Continue to blend.
- If there are any chunks left behind, continue to blend until your cream is completely smooth. If your blender is not a high performance blender, don’t fret. You can strain your milk off with a fine mesh strainer or a cheesecloth.
- Use it immediately, or place in an airtight container and store in the fridge for up to 7 days.
Try this out in my copycat Caribou Coffee iced crafted press recipe. This is my favorite way to use this cream.
Cashew Cream Vegan Coffee Creamer
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1 cup water
For Vanilla Sweet Cashew Cream
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- Soak the cashews in water for at least 4 hours. They should feel soft if you squeeze them.
- Drain the cashews and dump them in a blender. Add the water and pulse until smooth.
Vanilla Sweet Cream
- Add the vanilla extract and maple syrup. Continue to blend. The nuts should be blended into a smooth milk. If there are still chunks, continue to blend until it’s all smooth.
- Use right away, or store in an air tight container for up to a week in the fridge.
Let me know what you thought of this recipe in the comments below! Thanks for check it out.