My morning bowl of oatmeal has become so routine, that normally I don’t need to think about it. A normal bowl of oatmeal is my favorite, peanut butter cup oats. But as I get too engrained in a routine, I realized it was time to switch things up, so I’ve started playing around with different flavor combinations. I was surprised how much I liked this one, vegan peanut butter banana oatmeal with mixed seeds.
Normally when I make any oatmeal or thick smoothie, I always throw a spoonful of a seed mix we make including ground flax, chia seeds, and hemp hearts. So that is the seed mixture I use when I make oatmeal, however, any of the previously mentioned seeds would still work great. They each have benefits, so use what you have!
What you’ll love about this vegan peanut butter banana oatmeal?
- It’s delicious but tastes like breakfast. I see sometimes that people don’t want dessert for breakfast. This oatmeal is slightly sweet, but not so sweet that you’d confuse it for dessert.
- Vegan. There’s nothing in this that you’d have to worry about substituting. It can be a brainless breakfast.
- Filling. Seriously, normally I can polish off two servings of steel-cut oats without batting an eye, but this actually makes enough for me to save some and reheat it the following day.
How to make this peanut butter banana oatmeal?
- In a small saucepan, mix together the milk and oats. Start with 1.25 cups. You can always add more, but it’s hard to get it to thicken if you add too much.
- Then stir in the seeds, sliced banana, and cinnamon.
- Bring to a light boil/simmer, and continue to stir for about 8 minutes. You can stir the peanut butter in once it is boiling. This will cause it to thicken quite a bit. You can add more liquid as it thickens to make it thinner to your liking.
- Taste it and stir in 1-2 tsp of maple syrup to sweeten it to your liking.
- Spoon into a bowl and serve. Top with more sliced banana and more peanut butter.
Vegan Peanut Butter Banana Oatmeal with Seeds
- ½ cup steel cut oats
- 1 ¼ cups milk (you can also use water but it won't be as creamy) any plant-based milk work
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp seed mixture (hemp, chia, flax)
- 1-2 tbsp natural peanut butter
- pinch sea salt
- 1 banana
- Mix together the steel-cut oats and milk in a small saucepan. Heat over medium heat.
- Stir in the seeds, cinnamon, and about ⅔ chopped banana (save some for toppings). As it comes to a simmer/light boil, stir in the peanut butter. More will give a really thick consistency and a strong peanut butter flavor. Less gives a stronger banana flavor with some peanut butter.
- If it's too thick, add more milk or water (about ¼ at a time) until desired texture is achieved.
- After about 8-10 minutes, remove from heat. Spoon into bowls, top with banana and extra peanut butter.
- Serve fresh!
Let me know what you thought of this oatmeal! I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. Also, I’d like to know what type of seeds if any you use in your oatmeal.