Happy Cinco de Mayo (almost)! In the spirit of this holiday, I’ve been making my family a ton of Mexican inspired food, including these vegan chickpea fajita tacos. The great thing about this recipe is it is a sheet pan recipe so you throw it all on a pan in the oven and boom! Dinner is served. Who said that meatless tacos couldn’t be easy AND delicious, because they lied.
These tacos feature a vegan cotija cheese made from almonds and some common household flavorings such as lemon or lime juice and some brine from olives. My daughter loves the filling of these, well at least the chickpeas and cotija. She’s still figuring out the texture of peppers and onions a bit. But we devour these when they are in the house. It makes about enough filling for 12 tacos, and this only lasts the two (and baby) of us 2 meals.
What you’ll love about these sheet pan vegan chickpea fajita tacos?
- They are vegan. Vegan meatless tacos are seriously so good. Forget chicken or carnitas.
- Sheet pan meal. Aside from tortillas and the cotija, this is all made on one pan so skip all the dirty pots and pans.
- Hearty and delicious. We can’t help but overeat when these are on the table. Seriously it’s better than getting our favorite Mexican restaurant.
How to make these vegan chickpea fajita tacos?
- Preheat the oven to 450ºF.
- Cut up the onion and bell pepper. Place in a large mixing bowl along with the drained and rinsed chickpeas. Mix in the olive oil and spices well to ensure they are coated.
- Spread evenly on a sheet pan lined or greased. Bake for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, mix them around on the pan and place back in for another 10 minutes.
- While they are baking, in a food processor, combine the almonds, lemon or lime juice, and olive juice and pulse until a chunky powder is made. Don’t pulse too much or you’ll end up with almond butter! This is the cojita cheese.
- Assemble the tacos by placing some of the fajita mix on a taco, then topping with the cojita cheese, sriracha, salsa, guacamole, or any other toppings you may like!
- Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
Sheet Pan Vegan Chickpea Fajita Tacos
- 1 onion, julienned
- 3 bell peppers, julienned
- 1 can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp coriander cumin powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 12 taco shells
Vegan Cotija Cheese
- ½ cup almonds
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp olive juice
- salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Chop onion and bell peppers into long strips.
- Rinse and drain chickpeas.
- Combine all in a large mixing bowl. Add olive oil and spices to the bowl and mix well to ensure all are evenly coated.
- Spread on a large baking sheet and roast for 10 minutes. After 10 minutes mix the contents on the pan, and place back in for 10 more minutes.
- While the fajitas are baking, make the cotija by combining all ingredients in a food processor. Blend until fine chunks but take care to not over process or it'll start to turn to almond butter.
- Assemble the tacos by placing some of the fajita filling on the taco shells, sprinkle some of the cotija and than any other toppings. Squeeze fresh lime juice over the top and enjoy!
Did you try these tacos out? I’d love to know what you thought in the comments below! Thanks for reading.