I’m going to rave about the Plaza Azteca again. That Fargo, ND based restaurant has the best vegetable fajitas and after having them about 5 times, I was obsessed. I had to recreate them at home so I didn’t have to get take out every time I wanted them. Luckily I figured out a super-easy way to make them and there are seriously only 4 ingredients. Does it get any better than that?!
I highly recommend cooking these up in a large stainless steel skillet. I use an older version of this and love it!! Wedding gifts like that last a lifetime. Plus with a big skillet like this, you can easily add additional peppers and onion to the pan without issues with stirring. If you can get a mix of colors for the bell peppers that is also good. Makes the color more appealing. But use what you can, green peppers are almost always the cheapest!
What you’ll love about these easy vegan skillet vegetable fajitas?
- They are super light. Being there is no meat or heavy protein added to these, you can fill up guilt-free knowing your meal came from vegetables!
- Super simple. Just four ingredients and your favorite salsa or guacamole toppings make for some great tacos.
- Restaurant quality. My husband says these are better than the restaurant-style veggie fajitas he’s had. And he’s a Mexican food connoisseur.
- Vegan with no substitutions. These are just simply vegan without any substitutions or additions. Some of the best meals are like this.
How to make these delicious easy vegan skillet vegetable fajitas?
- Wash and cut all the produce. You’ll want to julienne the pepper and onion. If you are adding mushrooms, just slice them up. If you use spinach, no need to do anything to it. You’ll add it in whole leaf form.
- Heat your skillet over medium-high heat. Once it’s hot add the olive oil. I am a little generous with the oil so if you want to start low you can always add additional oil later. Let that get hot before you add the sliced vegetables.
- Toss in the onion, bell pepper, and mushroom if you use it. Give it a stir to coat them in the oil and let it sit and sizzle. You want to hear it sizzling and don’t stir it too much otherwise the veggies won’t caramelize and get that nice darkening.
- Stir occasionally (every 3-4 minutes) and once the onions are starting to look translucent, add the spinach if you are using it. Continue to cook until all the veggies are soft and they are starting to blacken on the outsides.
- Assemble tacos: heat the tortilla shells and then scoop the veggies on the shell. Top with any guacamole, salsa, and any other toppings you may want!
- Enjoy fresh.
Easy 4-Ingredient Vegan Skillet Vegetable Fajitas
- 3 bell peppers julienned
- 1 white onion sliced
- 4 oz mushrooms optional
- 2 cup spinach optional
- 8 flour tortillas
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Wash and cut the vegetables.
- Heat skillet over medium-high heat. Once warm add the olive oil.
- Pour the veggies (omit spinach until later if you use it) in and stir so they are all coated in oil. Then leave it sit to allow them to start to caramelize.
- Stir every 3-4 minutes until the onions start to turn translucent. Once they are cooked, then stir in the spinach and continue to cook until it is wilted. The vegetables should start to get charred look. That is when they are done.
- Assemble tacos by heating the tortilla shells. Add the fajitas, guacamole, and any salsa or sour cream you may want to top it with. You can also add rice or beans but generally I like them a bit lighter.
Have you had a chance to try this recipe? I’d love to know what you thought of the fajitas in the comments below! Thanks for reading, and if you have time, leave a star review so I can continue to make improvements to recipes.