Food is my life, and this vegan Mexican chili mac just hits the spot. I must say, breastfeeding is hard work. I also recently got back into doing some at home workouts, currently on the PiYo series by Chalene Johnson. She kicks my butt in the comfort of my own living room, but dang working out makes me hungry. They say breastfeeding burns about 500 calories a day, and then throw in an intense workout on top of that, it’s no wonder I’m a bottomless pit! But this endless hunger brought this delicious vegan chili mac recipe to light and I’m SO happy to be able to share it with you.
One thing that is a pantry staple for our house is pasta. There are a zillion ways to cook pasta into meals and it is so incredibly versatile. Creamy Italian style, lasagna, spaghetti, curried, mac n cheese, pasta bakes, etc the list goes on. What I love about this Mexican chili mac is that it is a blend of a few of our favorite types of food, Mexican, chili, and pasta. Pasta is one of those things that keeps me feeling full. Mexican food is a type of food that packs so much incredible flavor, and chili is similar in that rich flavor idea. Blend it all together and, BAM. Your mouth will thank me later.
What you’ll love about this vegan Mexican chili mac?
- It’s vegan. Who says pasta can’t be both vegan and delicious. Take a twist on your salsa chili recipe and make this Mexican chili mac. It’s super satisfying, full of fiber and protein to keep you feeling full.
- Did I say fiber? One major deficit in the American diet is fiber. This dish packs almost 10 grams of fiber, that is about 1/3 of your daily intake!
- Feed your whole tribe with this dish. Seriously, it makes a lot so it’s perfect for a large family or meal prep!
- The flavor. This one should really be number one because it is out of this world! If you use store bought salsa, you won’t even need to add salt. I’m drooling as I am writing this. Good thing I made another batch in the fridge for the week. 🙂
How to make this chili mac?
- Cook your pasta according to package directions. You can use any short noodle you’d like, and also feel free to use whole grain or another type (lentil, bean, vegetable, etc.).
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan. Add the garlic, chopped onion, and chopped bell pepper to a pan.
- Sauté until the onion starts to brown.
- Stir in the spices, salsa, corn, and beans. Mix well to ensure the spices are dispersed.
- Next add the pasta to the pan. Stir the pasta into the salsa mixture well.
- Cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Serve warm!
Mexican Chili Mac
- 1 lb rotini pasta, cooked according to package directions
- 1/2 large onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 can whole kernel corn
- 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tbsp chili powder
- 2 tsp coriander cumin powder (or just plain cumin)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3 cups of salsa
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Cook the pasta according to package directions.
- In a large saucepan, heat olive oil. Add garlic, onion, and bell pepper. Brown for 5 minutes until onion becomes slightly translucent.
- Mix in the beans, corn, spices, and salsa.
- Stir well to ensure spices are well dispersed.
- Stir in the pasta and mix well to ensure it’s evenly coated.
- Continue to cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Dish into serving bowls and serve hot.
If you are looking for another delicious Mexican inspired vegan dish, check out this lentil and bean salsa chili! Hearty, great on nachos or by itself.
Let me know what you thought of this vegan Mexican chili mac recipe in the comments below. Look forward to hearing your thoughts. 🙂