This is a post that I’m so excited to share. Vegetarian teriyaki fried rice is a family favorite. This recipe is so easy to throw together, and it’s likely you have these ingredients (or most of them) in your pantry already. This is a dish my family loves, so when we have my sister and brother-in-law over, this is always a go to. We will even make up some teriyaki chicken to throw in it for the meat lovers. However, it’s delicious without any meat.
We love this dish because it’s really simple. A bag of frozen peas, half an onion, some eggs, rice, and sauce is all you need. This is something you could easily serve kids and it’s just like getting it from the Chinese restaurant, only healthier. It’s also great for meal prepping. Make a double batch and save it in the fridge until a busy weeknight.
What you’ll love about vegetarian teriyaki fried rice?
- It’s easy to make. Just a few ingredients, and a simple recipe. For the beginner cook in your life.
- People pleaser. This recipe has yet to disappoint. Make it for a picky crowd.
- Vegan friendly – use a scrambled tofu in place of the scrambled eggs.
- You can meal prep it in bulk. This stuff keeps for a week in the fridge, so make a double batch and have it on hand for a busy night.
- Better than Chinese take out. The flavor is delicious, yet healthier. Make this instead of a stop by Panda Express and you’ve got yourself a healthier alternative.
How to make this fried rice?
- Cook the rice first. If using the instant pot or rice cooker follow their instructions using 2 cups of rice and 4 cups of water. If using a stove top method, bring the mixture to a boil in a pot. Once the water is boiling, reduce the heat to medium-low and allow to cook with the lid on for 20 minutes.
- Once the rice is cooking, chop up the onion.
- Heat a large skillet and the olive oil. Toss in the onion and brown for about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and ginger and allow them to get fragrant.
- Next stir in the frozen vegetables. Allow them to heat up and get tender. This takes about 5 minutes.
- Mix in the eggs (or tofu scramble) and allow the eggs to cook. This will take a few minutes. Make sure to continue to stir this so the eggs get cooked fully.
- Once the eggs are fully cooked, add teriyaki, soy sauce, and hoisin sauce if using. Mix the rice into the pan and sauces. If the rice is still really sticky, mix in the vegetable broth bit by bit until the desired texture is achieved.
- Dish into serving bowls and enjoy. You may need to add some additional soy sauce to adjust for flavor.
Vegetarian Teriyaki Fried Rice
- 2 cup white rice
- 16 oz frozen peas and carrots
- ½ onion, chopped
- 4 eggs (*replace with scrambled tofu for vegan)
- ¼ cup teriyaki sauce (Kikkoman Teriyaki is our favorite)
- 3 tbsp soy sauce
- ½ tsp ginger paste
- ½ tbsp minced garlic
- splash of lime juice
- 2 tbsp vegetable broth
- 3 tbsp olive oil (or more if your rice is too sticky)
- 2 tbsp hoisin sauce (optional)
- Cook the rice. In a rice cooker or instant pot, add the 4 cups of water and 2 cups of rice. On the stove, bring 4 cups of water to a boil with the rice. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook for 20 minutes.
- In a pan, heat oil. Add onion and brown (about 5 minutes).
- Add the frozen vegetables and allow them to heat up. Allow them to cook until they’re tender.
- Next crack the eggs into the pan and continue to mix it as the egg cooks.
- Once they are all done, mix the garlic, ginger, soy sauce, hoisin, and teriyaki sauce in.
- Once the rice is done, mix it in to the pan with the egg vegetable mixture. Once it’s all mixed, add the vegetable broth a bit at a time to help moisten the rice and prevent it from being too sticky.
If you’re interested in another Asian inspired vegan recipe, check out this Thai salad with peanut sauce.
Let me know what you thought of this recipe in the comments below.
Made this for my family when they visited. Everyone loved it.