The last few days have been tough in our house. Our little one got her shots and has been extra fussy lately. Not that I dislike the baby snuggles, but lack of sleep always makes me crave junk food. Luckily, I’ve been able make food at home so we can at least know what is going into our bodies.
Going through my education for food science, I really became aware of all the things the food industry can do to food. While I find some things okay, I am not a big fan of some additives and my family is trying to go for more natural products when we can. That is why it’s been great having me home on maternity leave so there is more time for me to make healthy food for us.
Over the last few days with a bit rougher sleep, all I can think about is ice cream and pizza. While once in awhile indulgences are okay in my eyes, every night eating half a pint of ice cream is a no-no. Cookies and cream ice cream was on my brain a couple of nights ago, so I decided to try something out with what we had in the pantry – oatmeal cookie nice cream. A healthier alternative to cookies and cream ice cream that turned out delicious!
What you’ll love about this oatmeal cookie nice cream
- You can the whole recipe for under 600 calories. That’s just a little over half of what a pint of Ben and Jerry’s is.
- It’s vegan friendly. Use semi-sweet vegan chocolate chips and your favorite non-dairy milk for a vegan dessert.
- Eliminate wasting your overly ripe bananas. We all have those times where bananas get ripe too fast and we don’t want to eat them. They’re perfect to slice up and freeze for nice cream!
A delicious oatmeal cookie in a vegan nice cream form
- 2 frozen sliced bananas
- 1/4 cup oats
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips
- 1/3 cup milk (more or less for desired texture)
- Optional but suggested:
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/3 cup raisins (I’m not a huge raisin person so I don’t add them, but they do make it taste more like an oatmeal cookie)
- Add all ingredients to high powered blender or food processor
- Blend util smooth consistency and no large pieces of banana remain
- Scoop out and serve or place in freezer for 15 minutes for firmer nice cream
Adjust the milk as needed to get your favorite consistency. I start with less and add more if needed. It’s easier to add milk than add too much and end up with a smoothie.
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat 8.7 g||13.4%|
|Total Carbohydrate 53 g||17.7%|
|Dietary Fiber 5.4 g||21.6%|
|Sugars 27 g (14.5 from banana)|
|Protein 4.2 g|
|Vitamin A||Vitamin C|
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.
Cass Clay Cooking
Let me know what you think in the comments below.