It’s been cold in North Dakota, meaning all things warm. Soup, hot chocolate, tea, etc. I’m really excited that we had this easy vegan Thai noodle soup in the mix because it was quick to make, yummy, and most importantly, warming.
With the start of a new year, I’ve committed to reducing my intake of animal products, not just meat. So far I’ve been doing really well aside from my morning coffee, but that is a work in progress. Check back in a few weeks for some vegan coffee cream hacks. But anyhow, plant based recipes really can taste delicious! I modified this recipe from Forks over Knives to work with what I have in the pantry as well as reduce random leftovers. Give this soup a try and you’ll agree.
What you’ll love about this vegan Thai noodle soup?
- It’s easy to make. Takes less than 30 minutes and you can feed a family or have plenty of leftovers.
- It’s plant based. Vegan and plant based seems to be the way of the future. Just because something is labeled vegan or plant based doesn’t mean it can’t taste amazing!
- It’s packed with vegetables. Hit your servings of fruits and veggies with this delicious soup.
- It can include more protein with tofu. easily modifiable soup that could also be meat eater friendly. Toss in some beef or pork pieces and your carnivorous friends will also enjoy.
How to make this soup?
- Cook the noodles according to the package directions. They should only take a few minutes. Then strain them and set aside.
- In a large pot or dutch oven heat olive oil.
- Add the carrots, onion, and mushroom. Cook until the onion starts to brown and the carrots get tender. This will take about 10 minutes.
- Next add the serrano pepper, garlic, soy sauce, lime juice, vegetable stock. Then stir in the spinach.
- Bring it to a boil then reduce to medium heat. Simmer for 10 minutes.
- In serving bowls, divide the noodles and then top with the vegetables and broth. Sprinkle cilantro over the top and enjoy!
This recipe would go great along with a salad. This vegan Thai salad with peanut sauce would be a great compliment to the Thai theme.
Vegan Vegetable Thai Noodle Soup
- 8 oz brown rice noodles
- 6 oz sliced mushrooms
- 1 onion, julienned
- ½ cup carrots, julienned or matchsticks
- 2 cup spinach, packed
- 4 ½ cup vegetable broth
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp lime juice
- 1 serrano pepper, minced
- cilantro for garnish
- 1 tbsp olive oil (or more for cooking the vegetables)
- Heat the olive oil in a pot over medium heat. Add the onion, carrot, and mushrooms to the pot.
- Cook until the onions brown, about 8-10 minutes. The carrots should start to get tender. If they start to stick to the pan, add additional olive oil.
- Add the garlic, ginger, vegetable stock, soy sauce, lime juice, and serrano pepper to the pot.
- Stir in the spinach. The leaves should wilt fairly quick.
- Bring the mixture to a boil then reduce the heat to medium. Allow the contents to simmer for about 10 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, bring another pot of water to a boil.
- Cook the brown rice noodles according to package directions.
- To serve, divide the noodles between bowls and the broth over top. Sprinkle the cilantro over top and enjoy!
Let me know what you thought of this recipe in the comments below! I look forward to seeing what you thought or any modifications you made.