I’ve been eating clean (or at least most of the time) since around the New Year. It’s been great, I feel awesome, and I’ve lost weight without really trying. That said, I am ALWAYS munchy hungry. I feel like I snack all day long. One thing that I have found is a great snack that is packed full of fiber and is satisfying is homemade healthier microwave popcorn.
Rather than buy pre-made bagged microwave popcorn, we’ve been buying just the kernels and brown paper bags. Then you control exactly what is going on them. I’ve found my favorite is to lightly coat the kernels with some olive oil and then sprinkle some seasoning salt like Lawry’s on top.
What you’ll love about this homemade healthier microwave popcorn?
- You get the delicious snack food you love with less of the bad. With this vegan, you’re not getting the cholesterol or nearly as much fat as store bought microwave popcorn.
- High fiber food. With this clocking in at 12 grams of fiber, that’s nearly half your daily intake in one snack!
- It’s customizable. Don’t have olive oil? Use coconut. Rather have kettle corn than regular salted, toss a bit of sugar in too. You can even go exotic with sriracha or cheese.
- Satisfying. You can eat this whole bag and not even hit 300 calories. Or better yet, cut it in half for a good size serving under 150 calories.
How to make this homemade microwave popcorn?
- In a brown paper bag or microwave safe bowl, add the kernels. You should toss them lightly with olive oil. You’ll need to give the bag or bowl a shake. Make sure its well distributed. This helps the kernels pop.
- Sprinkle the seasonings on top (salt, seasoning salt, cumin, sugar, etc.).
- Microwave for 1:30 to 2:30. You’ll stop it when the popping is spaced more than 1 second apart. If you leave it too long, you may end up with burnt popcorn.
- Remove from the microwave and enjoy!
Serve this up at your next movie night along with some of this delicious watermelon agua fresca.
Healthier Microwave Popcorn
- 4 tbsp popcorn kernels
- 1/2 tsp oil (or slightly more to coat)
- 1 brown paper bag
Season Salt Flavor
- 1/2 tsp seasoning salt (or more to taste)
Kettle Corn Flavor
- 1 tsp raw sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Either in a bowl or directly in the brown paper bag, mix the kernels with oil.
- Sprinkle the seasoned salt in the bag and shake to coat the kernels.
- Fold the top down 2 or 3 times to retain the heat in the microwave.
- Place the bag in the microwave and pop for 1:30 to 2:30. Stop it when the popping is more than a second apart to prevent the popcorn from burning.
Let me know what you thought of this homemade healthier microwave popcorn. It’s a great snack. What flavor did you like best?
Pingback: healthy microwave popcorn recipe – Microwave Recipes
Pingback: microwave brown paper bag kettle popcorn recipe – Microwave Recipes