We always seem to buy 2-3 too many bananas before they get too ripe to enjoy. that’s why I love banana bread, the extra ripe bananas are perfect fore these recipes. That’s why I love this chocolate chip banana bread. It’s vegan friendly, super moist, and delicious. It makes for a perfect breakfast treat, dessert, or potluck dish. It’s lighter than most with Greek yogurt and applesauce in place of the eggs and sour cream. You can also swap the butter out for additional applesauce or yogurt, but be cautious as the moisture gets really high and the bread will be extremely wet.
With the holiday season comes all the baking. Not only that, but winter in general. I can’t get enough of this stuff. Anything chocolate has got my vote, but this is one that tops the list. It’s super rich and filling. It won’t take much to fill you up, but there is definitely a tempt to consume the whole thing.
What you’ll love about this chocolate chip banana bread?
- It’s vegan friendly. Use a plant based butter, vegan chocolate and sugar, and dairy free yogurt and you have a delicious vegan dessert.
- It’s a dessert with fruit. This dessert has 3 whole bananas in it. Less guilt, more treats.
- It’s lighter than normal banana bread using applesauce and Greek yogurt instead of egg and Greek yogurt.
How to make this banana bread?
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Mash the banana in a stand mixer or in a bowl with a fork. Once they’re mashed up well, add the melted butter. Then the yogurt, vanilla extract, and applesauce.
- Next add in the sugar and mix until it is well dispersed.
- Once smooth, mix in the flour, salt, and baking soda. Let it mix until a smooth batter is formed. Then fold in the chocolate chips.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper, or generously grease and then dump the batter in. Smooth the top with a spatula.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes, or until a toothpick comes out mostly clean. The batter is very moist so it will likely still have a slight amount of batter with it.
- Allow to cool to the touch and serve warm.
Looking for another yummy breakfast treat? Check out this baked chocolate chip banana blueberry oatmeal.
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
- ½ cup butter, melted
- ½ cup unsweetened applesauce
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 3 ripe bananas
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 ½ cup wheat flour
- ½ cup chocolate chips (plus extra for topping)
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Mash the banana with a fork or with a mixer.
- Mix in the butter, yogurt, applesauce, and vanilla extract.
- Add the sugar and continue to mix until it’s well incorporated.
- Finally mix in the flour, salt, baking soda until a smooth batter is formed.
- Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Line a loaf pan with parchment paper or grease generously. Pour batter into the pan.
- Spread evenly across and place in the oven.
- Bake for 55-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out smooth. Glass pans seem to take a few extra minutes. It might have a slight amount of batter on the toothpick because the loaf is very moist.
- Serve when it’s just warm to the touch.
Let me know what you thought of this chocolate chip banana bread recipe in the comments below. Did you modify it? I’d love to hear how.