Watermelon season is the best season. I completely adore fresh watermelon, and it’s such a shame it’s not as abundantly available year round. That being said, the massive watermelons sometimes are more than we can handle in a household of two (little one is only just starting to eat). That being said I scramble to find ways to eat more in creative ways. That’s where the sparkling watermelon agua fresca came from.
I’ve been a lover of smoothies and started making watermelon smoothies this summer. If nothing else was added to them, it’s more of a liquid than a smoothie. I tried a strawberry and a mango agua fresca at our local Blaze Pizza and was obsessed. Why not do the same with watermelon? And I’m still working through the supply of La Croix that I bought while I was pregnant, so what better way to enjoy than in a delicious watermelon drink.
Why you’ll love this Watermelon Agua Fresca
- You’ll get a good amount of watermelon in a glass, so a serving or two of fruit while you’re enjoying a delicious drink.
- It’s naturally sweetened. No sugar added is the best. We’re all trying our best to find healthy alternatives to our favorite junk foods. This is a great drink that you can have in place of soda or juice, with only sugar from the watermelon and lime.
- It makes for a great mocktail. Whether you’re pregnant, breastfeeding, or simply just not interested in drinking alcohol, you can whip up a batch of these and they are a great alcohol free ‘mixed drink’.
- Make them alcoholic by adding a shot of your favorite vodka, tequila, or other liquor.
- Don’t let your watermelon go to waste. It is a great recipe to use up any remaining watermelon that’s been in your fridge for too long.
I only wish that I had thought of this while I was pregnant. Working for a large beer company was always tempting, but I was not a fan of the non-alcoholic beer. These mocktails are a great way to satisfy and not feel alienated at social gatherings. Not only that, but it’s a delicious, refreshing, and healthy alternative to soda, juice, and other sugary beverages.
This would go great alongside a nice salad, such as this copycat modern greek with quinoa salad from Panera.
Watermelon Agua Fresca (Non-Alcoholic)
- 2 cup cubed watermelon
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- ¾ cup cold water
- (optional) mint leaves
Watermelon Agua Fresca
- half watermelon juice
- 6 oz half a can sparkling water (I use la croix citrus flavors)
- mint leaves (optional)
- Blend together watermelon, water, and lime juice.
- (Optional) If you want a thinner consistency, strain the juice. If you don’t mind a bit thicker consistency skip this step.
- Pour half of the watermelon juice in a glass over ice. Then pour about half a can of your favorite sparkling water in. I’ve found citrus flavored work well, otherwise use unflavored to keep the watermelon flavor at the forefront.
- Garnish with mint and enjoy!
Let me know what you thought of the sparkling watermelon agua fresca. This is vegan, and would also be great with a bit of mint blended in. Leave your thoughts in the comments below.