Wow, have I been MIA. I went back to work for several weeks before officially becoming a STAY AT HOME MOM. It’s official now as my last day of work was Friday. Such a strange feeling after 3.5 years in the same lab, but I’m incredibly excited to spend all my time with my little girl. That said, now that I’m back into the rhythm of being home, I am able to spend more time in the kitchen again – HORRAY! That’s where this spiced golden milk persimmon smoothie came from.
I’ve seen some comments on different Instagram posts about persimmons, but never tried one myself. I’ve looked occasionally in grocery stores for them, but it’s not something I’ve seen before, until this weekend. We were at the store right by our house, and they happened to be sitting with the exotic fruits like dragonfruit and starfruit. When I saw them, I just had to grab some. I was so excited, I figured I had to try it out.
On another note, my husband has been on this turmeric drink deal for the last month or so, which I can’t wrap my head around spending money to drink turmeric, when we already cook with it quite a bit. That being said, I figured this would be a good opportunity to throw some turmeric in a smoothie since these fruit have a fall-esc flavor to them. Cinnamon, cloves, turmeric, what more could you ask for.
It certainly did not disappoint. Had to tweak the spices a hair being it had a good bite to it, but the flavor was great. I’m hoping to see if the local farmer’s market has some this weekend. I really want to make more of these, but can’t wrap my head around paying $2.50 per persimmon again.
What you’ll love about this spiced golden milk persimmon smoothie
- It’s fall in a glass. Imagine your favorite fall flavors and scents all packed in one drink, this is it.
- Anti-inflammatory rich. There’s a reason that turmeric is so popular. It’s known as a great anti-inflammatory. This has almost as much turmeric is a full Indian dish that feeds a family of 4.
- Naturally sweetened. All of the sugar in this drink comes natural from the fruit. And it’s balanced with fiber. I’m all for reduction of sugar, so this is a great option for someone who wants to reduce added sugars.
- It’s vegan. If you don’t want to use dairy milk, this drink is vegan. Serve it to your friends and they’d never know!
Spiced Golden Milk Persimmon Smoothie
- 1 persimmon, chopped
- 1 banana
- 1 cup milk (variety of choice)
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- pinch cloves
- Chop persimmon and remove stem and leaves.
- Add all ingredients to a blender.
- Blend on high power for 30 seconds, or until desired consistency is met.
- Sprinkle cinnamon and cloves on top. Serve in a large glass.
Let me know what you think of this spiced golden milk persimmon smoothie in the comments below. This is a new fall favorite for us, I hope you enjoy it too!