Who doesn’t love BBQ food for a holiday weekend? I know we do, but with our transition to meatless lifestyle, it’s always difficult to find alternatives. Lentils and quinoa are a great texture addition to meat substitutions. Vegan lentil quinoa sloppy joes are definitely my jam, and they are also super good for meal prep, so save those leftovers for the week and have yourself a super easy microwave dinner!
This recipe was modified off minimalist baker’s lentil quinoa sloppy joe recipe, and we love them. It’s amazing to find a recipe where you literally dump everything in a slow cooker and feast a few hours later. Everyone these days seem to be very busy, so meals that are simple dump and go are perfect for a busy family.
I made these for our labor day weekend, and it was such a great option because we had a spur of the moment drive to Canada to try to view the Aurora Borealis. These were our right before the drive quick lunch, and a easy meal when we arrived back home.
What you’ll love about Vegan Lentil Quinoa Sloppy Joes?
- They’re vegan friendly. Make them vegan or not, they’re definitely meatless. For those of you who are interested in eating meatless, plant-based, these are for you.
- They’re very simple. Dump it in your slow cooker (or instant pot, I used mine ALL the time) and dish up a few hours later.
- Inexpensive. These are quite cheap to throw together. Who doesn’t love a budget-friendly dish?
- They taste similar to a traditional beef sloppy joe, minus the beef of course. 🙂
Vegan Lentil Quinoa Sloppy Joes
- 1 ½ cup brown lentils
- 32 oz vegetable broth
- 15 oz can tomato sauce
- ½ yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup baby carrots, chopped
- ½ cup quinoa
- ½ tbsp minced garlic
- 1½ tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp tabasco sauce
- 2 tbsp maple syrup (agave nectar or honey work)
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp cumin (optional)
- Chop onions and carrots up into small pieces
- Dump everything into slow cooker (or instant pot – use slow cooker setting)
- Cook for 5-6 hours (you’ll need to test the lentils to ensure they’re not too tender) 5 hours
- Once they’re soft, serve hot on your favorite buns!
- These reheat super well so a great option for vegan meal prep!
Hope you enjoy these sandwiches as much as we did! They’re perfect for a large family or a good week of meal prep. Here’s another idea of a great lentil dish. Let me know what modifications you made, or what you think of them in the comments below.