Ever have those days where you can’t feel full, regardless of how much you eat and how much water you drink? That was me when I threw this together. We don’t use a whole lot of protein powder in our house, being we get plenty from the typical daily food intake. However when I am not able to fulfill my hunger, we will throw some in a smoothie. We also have quite the supply of honeycrisp apples (the best!), so I thought an apple pie protein shake sounded perfect.
Apples, cinnamon, vanilla, and oats? Sounds like a perfect recipe for a copycat apple crisp or apple pie to me. This shake was not only satisfying, but it really did taste like a pie in a glass. It is meant for one shake, but it really is enough for 2 generous servings, so don’t feel like you need to eat it all at once. 🙂
Why you’ll love the apple pie protein shake
- If you like protein shakes, this one is a unique flavor to the usual chocolate or vanilla, but is packed full of protein.
- It’s vegan friendly – make sure you use a vegan protein powder and non-dairy milk.
- It really does taste like an apple pie in a glass. It’s plenty sweet, but if you have a sweet tooth, feel free to add a dash of maple syrup prior to blending.
- Hidden vegetables. There’s a cup of spinach in this recipe. Bet you can’t taste it.
The day I threw this together first was a nice gloomy day. It really did remind me of fall, thus I was inspired to do a fall flavor. It worked out since we had the excess apples. 🙂
Apple Pie Protein Shake
- 1 apple, sliced
- 1 cup packed spinach
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 scoop plain protein powder
- 2 tbsp walnuts
- 1 ½ cup milk of choice
- ¼ cup oats (steel cut work well in a high performance blender)
- ice as needed
- Core and slice the apple.
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.
- Serve in a glass or store in the fridge until a later time. Make sure if you don’t drink right away to give it a good shake prior to drinking so you can get it mixed up.
Let me know what you think of this recipe! I hope you enjoy it as much as we do.