Get bored of the same old things for breakfast? Scrambled eggs, peanut butter toast, routine smoothies, breakfast sandwiches, ya da ya da ya da. Well this is one of those things you can make a supply of and change it up everyday. Vegan breakfast mashed sweet potato sounded really strange to me when I first made them, but I figured it couldn’t be too different from oatmeal, so I tried it out.
What I quickly found out is that I LOVE this breakfast. It’s so easy if you prep ahead of time, and it is so versatile. Change up your toppings to make a new breakfast everyday.
In the future I can show you some different topping combinations I’ve used, but today I’ll just go through how to prepare the sweet potato mash and one set of toppings. Don’t feel limited by me not showing everything though. This is almost an art, as it’s all a game of what you think would go well together as a topping for this.
What you’ll love about this vegan breakfast mashed sweet potato bowl
- Sweet potatoes are high in antioxidants, that ever so desirable fiber, and vitamin A, amongst other things.
- It’s vegan. Plant based is the best!
- Meal prep friendly. For those of us who are super busy, make this on Sunday and be stocked all week.
- The toppings are very versatile. Mix it up every day and it’ll seem like you’re having something different each morning.
How to make these mashed sweet potato bowls?
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Wash and puncture sweet potatoes with a fork. Place them on a parchment paper lined baking sheet (you’ll want to cover it if you can because they leak and it is hard to scrub off).
- Bake them for 45-60 minutes. The larger potatoes will need longer. You can check they’re done by trying to cut through them. If they are hard to cut through, place them back in the oven for a few more minutes.
- Let them cool to the touch.
- Rip the skin off. I do this by hand but you could also just peel them prior to baking. This method just prevents burning better.
- Mash the insides up in a large bowl. Then add the vanilla extract, cinnamon, and splash of milk. You can also use a stand mixer to mash them up.
- Dish up a serving and top with whatever toppings you like!
- Store the remaining in the fridge for later.
Vegan Breakfast Sweet Potato Bowl
- 3 sweet potatoes
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- splash of milk (to get mashed potato desired texture)
- fresh fruit (banana, blueberries, strawberries, etc)
- handful of nuts (almonds, pecans, walnuts)
- 1 tbsp nut butter
- 1 chocolate chips
- 1 tsp shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Wash and scrub sweet potatoes. Puncture with a fork around to allow venting while they’re cooking.
- Place on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and bake for 45-60 minutes depending on the size of potato. Large potatoes will take longer. To check they’re done, try to slice through one. It should be easy and little resistance, as a normal baked potato.
- Let them cool and then remove the skin. The skin will peel off, so you can just use your hands and rip it away.
- Place the inside portion of the potato in a bowl and mash with a fork or a potato masher. You can also use a stand mixer.
- Add the vanilla extract, cinnamon, and milk to the mashed potatoes and mix it in well.
- Spoon some into a bowl and top with toppings of choice. Some good combinations are peanut butter, blueberries, and granola; banana, chocolate chips, coconut, and nut butter or whatever you want to put on top! Get creative. 🙂
- Store the remaining in the fridge for up to 5 days. You may need to add a splash of milk to them once you reheat if they get thick and solidify.
This is seriously one of my favorite breakfasts because it is very versatile and easy to do for someone in a hurry in the morning. If you are looking for another yummy breakfast, check out these overnight peanut butter cup oats. Let me know what toppings you use if you try this out!