One thing I loved growing up was chicken tortilla soup. I ate it all the time. It was so great with cheese and tortilla chips. It really brings me back to my childhood. But since we’ve started this vegan lifestyle chicken is out and we aren’t using cream. That’s how I ended up with this easy vegan tortilla soup with vegetables.
Soup is so good because it can be a meal or it can be used for an appetizer. This one is a great dish for dinner served with tortilla chips. It may be light in calories but it sure is hearty and satisfying. My husband and even our baby love this stuff! Soft squash and zucchini are baby friendly.
What you’ll love about this easy vegan tortilla soup?
- It’s just like your favorite chicken tortilla soup, but meat free and light on calories.
- A vegan version packed with vegetables. get your daily servings in with this delicious soup.
- It’s easy to make. All the prep required is cutting up zucchini, onion, and squash. The rest is done in one pot.
How to make this soup?
- Heat the onion and 1/2 cup of vegetable broth in a large saucepan until it’s starting to brown.
- Once it starts browning, add the garlic, chili, cayenne pepper, and paprika. Cook a few more minutes.
- Add the remainder of the ingredients and heat for 20-25 minutes until the zucchini and squash are tender.
- Serve in bowls with tortilla chips.
This soup is so great. If you enjoy hearty soup, this lentil salsa chili is another great option!
Easy Vegan Tortilla Soup
- 2 small zucchini
- 1 yellow squash
- 1 can diced tomatoes (15 oz)
- 1 can whole kernel corn (15 oz)
- 1 can kidney beans (15 oz)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 4 cup vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
- 2 tsp chili powder
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the onion with a 1/2 cup of vegetable broth over medium heat in a large sauce pan.
- As it starts to brown (3-5 minutes), add the garlic, chili powder, cayenne pepper, and paprika. Continue cooking until fragrant.
- Add the remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Drop the temperature and simmer for about 25 minutes. The tenderness of the squash and zucchini will tell you when it is done.
- Serve in bowls warm with tortilla chips.
Let me know what you thought of this recipe in the comments below! I’d love to hear if you enjoyed it.