Back when we ate meat, my sister would treat us to one of her favorite dishes, which is egg roll in a bowl. This was made with just a few ingredients, including ground meat, cabbage, ginger, garlic, soy sauce, green onions, and a side of rice. I really liked this dish and didn’t really ever think to recreate it with a vegan alternative. As we were grocery shopping, I saw the meatless crumbles, and thought why not try it out! We were pleasantly surprised by how well it turned out, so I’m sharing the recipe for my version of the vegan egg roll in a bowl here.
This dish was made with Morning Star Farms meatless crumbles, as they are the most readily available meat substitute we have in our area, however, Beyond beef, Gardein, or other types of meatless crumbles would also work great. The recipe calls for about 1 pound (16 oz) of a meat substitute. You could also try a walnut cauliflower meat alternative, though I haven’t tried this to vouge for the flavor.
What you’ll love about this vegan egg roll in a bowl?
- It’s a great vegan version of a delicious dish. Use whatever type of meat substitute you want in this, just make sure you prepare it according to the package instructions.
- It’s easy to make. Using the pre-cooked meatless crumbles, this was done in less than 10 minutes. The worst part is waiting for the rice to cook. 🙂
- It could easily be made keto-friendly by making into a filling for lettuce wraps or served over cauliflower rice than over regular rice.
How to make this vegan egg roll in a bowl?
- Cook the crumbles according to the package directions. Morning Star Farms or Gardein crumbles are quick, only taking about 5 minutes to make the whole pack.
- Once they’re warm, add the cabbage and cook until the cabbage starts to wilt.
- After the cabbage starts to wilt, stir in the spices, green onions, and soy sauce. Allow it to become fragrant. Continue cooking until the cabbage is nice and soft.
- Serve fresh over a bed of rice, cauliflower rice, or in lettuce wraps.
Vegan Egg Roll in a Bowl
- 16 oz meatless crumbles any vegan meat substitute will do
- 5-6 cups shredded cabbage
- 2 tbsp soy sauce or tamari
- 1 tbsp ground ginger
- 1.5 tsp ground garlic
- ¾ cup chopped green onions
- sesame seeds (optional)
- Cook the meatless crumbles according to the package directions in a skillet.
- Once the vegan meat is cooked, add the shredded cabbage to the pan. Allow it to start to wilt.
- Once the cabbage has started wilting, stir in the spices, soy sauce, and green onions.
- Continue to cook until cabbage is nice and soft. If the mixture begins to stick to the pan, stir in 1/4 cup of water.
- Top with sesame seeds (optional). Serve over a bed of rice, cauliflower rice, or in lettuce wraps.
Did you try this recipe? What vegan meat did you use? How did it turn out, I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below. Thanks for reading! 🙂