We ate at this small middle Eastern restaurant prior to the COVID-19 pandemic, and I really enjoyed the dish I had with turmeric rice. I’ve never had it anywhere else, but it was SO good. So I just had to figure out how to recreate it at home. This is one that I am extremely happy with and now make this almost every time I need rice for a dish like Indian curries. This easy vegan turmeric rice is delicious and as it says in the title, very easy to make.
This rice is easy to make in the instant pot, in a rice cooker, or even on a stovetop pot. The recipe uses very pantry friendly ingredients making it a treat to throw together on a whim, like most of my life without meal planning. This stuff is great as a side dish for Indian food that is served with rice, but also is great with falafel!
What you’ll love about this easy vegan turmeric rice?
- It’s vegan. This dish packs a lot of flavor but is vegan!
- Extremely easy to make. This recipe uses all pantry friendly ingredients including spices, rice, vegetable stock, and coconut oil (optional).
- Packed with antioxidants. Between the turmeric, garlic, ginger, and onion, there are a ton of superfoods added!
- Delicious. It’s so good, you could just eat it by itself if you don’t mind an abundance of carbs.
How to make this easy vegan turmeric rice?
- Mix together all ingredients except the coconut oil (optional ingredient) in a rice cooker or instant pot. With a rice cooker, follow the rice cooker directions. With the instant pot, use the rice button and manually release the pressure at the end.
- On a stovetop, mix together all ingredients in a pot. Bring to a boil and then reduce the temperature to a simmer. Simmer for about 18 minutes covered. Remove the lid at the end and tilt the pan. No liquid should be left and the rice should hold its place firm.
- Fluff the cooked rice and stir in the coconut oil if you use it. It isn’t necessary but gives it a bit more smooth texture. If you want really slick rice, use more oil.
- Store leftovers in the fridge in an airtight container for up to one week.
Vegan Spiced Turmeric Rice
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 1 tsp ground turmeric
- ¼ tsp ground ginger
- ¾ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 tsp coconut oil optional, add-in at end
- In a rice cooker, mix together all ingredients except the coconut oil. Cook according to cooker instructions.
- At the end of cooking, using a fork, fluff up the rice. Stir in the coconut oil if you want to use it. Serve fresh. Leftovers can be stored in the fridge in an airtight container for 1 week.
- In a medium saucepan, mix together all ingredients except coconut oil. Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer. Leave at a simmer for about 18 minutes covered.
- Remove the lid at the end of cooking, tilt the pan to ensure no liquid remains in the bottom. The rice should hold firm. Fluff with a fork, and stir in the optional coconut oil. Serve fresh.
I’d love to know if you tried this recipe and what you thought. Feel free to leave a rating or review! Your feedback helps me improve recipes for future posts as well as make improvements to existing recipes. Thanks again for reading!