One of my favorite holidays of the year is coming up. I’m not that into the mushy gushy stuff about Valentine’s Day, but I love desserts. If you ask anyone who knows me well, one of my biggest weaknesses is my sweet tooth. I’ve been trying to come up with some healthier alternatives to my favorite desserts, or just healthier desserts in general because at least there’s a little less guilt if what you’re eating isn’t super terrible. That’s why I’m sharing these yummy chocolate dipped berries.
This recipe is really easy to make and relatively guilt-free in terms of desserts. You can eat half this batch and still be better off than half a pint of Ben and Jerry’s ice cream, which to me is a win because it is all too easy to sit down and eat half a pint of that stuff. Not only that, but these are vegan friendly (just make sure your chocolate is vegan!), and you can customize the toppings however you like. I prefer plain berries, but you can put chopped nuts, toasted coconut, sprinkles, powdered sugar, you name it.
What you’ll love about these easy chocolate dipped berries?
- The title says it. They’re easy. Melt together the coconut oil and chocolate and then dip the berries.
- Vegan friendly. Make sure your chocolate is vegan and you have a healthy(ish) vegan dessert.
- People love chocolate dipped fruit. You can make these for a party, date night, or even just as a snack.
- They are a light dessert. Rather than eat a rich chocolate cake, have a few chocolate covered berries.
How to make these chocolate covered berries?
- Wash the berries well and dry with paper towels. Leave them out to dry for at least one hour to ensure there is no residual moisture.
- Melt the chocolate and coconut oil in a microwave safe dish. Microwave for 30 second intervals, stirring between until all the lumps are melted.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- Dip each berry and use a spoon to drizzle chocolate over hard to reach areas.
- Lay them on the baking sheet and repeat for all the berries.
- Add any toppings (drizzle white chocolate or crushed peanuts).
- Place the baking sheet in the fridge for at least 30 minutes for the chocolate to set.
- Serve or store for up to 3 days in the fridge.
Valentine’s Day Themed Vegan Chocolate Dipped Fruit
- 1/4 cup chocolate
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 10 strawberries
- 20 raspberries
- 1 tbsp crushed cashews or peanuts (optional)
- 1 tbsp melted white chocolate (optional for drizzling)
- Wash and dry the fruit well. Allow the fruit to dry at least an hour prior to dipping to prevent any remaining water from getting between the chocolate and the fruit.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- In a microwave safe dish, melt together the coconut oil and the chocolate. Do this in 30 second increments to prevent burning.
- Mix it well to prevent any lumps.
- Dip each fruit and use a spoon to drizzle chocolate on hard to reach areas.
- Place the dipped fruit on the lined baking sheet.
- Repeat for all the fruit (this will make about 10 strawberries and 10 raspberries or a mix of that).
- Once they’re dipped, put any toppings on (nuts or drizzle).
- Place the sheet in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to allow the chocolate to set.
- Serve fresh or store in the fridge for up to 3 days.
These would go great after a yummy salad, such as this pomegranate kale Holiday salad. Let me know what you thought of these in the comments below! Did you use any toppings, if so what did you use?