As the mom of a toddler, I’m learning quickly that we need to be very cautious about what we bring into the house and what we eat because she sees us. She’s learning so rapidly now and modeling our behavior, so I don’t want her learning that a pint of Ben and Jerry’s is good, or eating a whole bag of chips is okay. So I’ve been getting more stringent on what we eat in front of her and what is in the pantry. With my major sweet tooth though, I’ve looked for alternatives to my normal love of ice cream, this coconut milk vegan chocolate peanut butter ice cream is so good I don’t even feel like I’m missing out!
The texture of any non-dairy ice cream is not quite the same, more of any ‘icy’ texture than creamy. The nice thing about canned coconut milk is that there is a lot of cream that is mixed in so it does still get some of that creaminess. The melted chocolate will harden in the blender as you pulse so it actually turns into small chunks, which is awesome. You could always omit the peanut butter and make it chocolate ‘chip’ ice cream, but I have a special love for peanut butter, so I add it to virtually everything!
What you’ll love about this vegan chocolate peanut butter ice cream?
- It’s vegan. As long as you use vegan chocolate, this is a healthy, non-dairy dessert that you can enjoy as a family.
- Naturally sweetened. Using maple syrup, it’s free of refined sugar.
- Healthier than regular ice cream. You can enjoy this without cholesterol or any dairy.
- Super easy to make. Put it all in the blender or food processor and then freeze. It’s that easy!
How to make this vegan chocolate peanut butter ice cream?
- The night before or the morning of making this, place the can of coconut milk in the fridge to harden.
- When you’re ready to make it, place the coconut milk, maple syrup, and vanilla in a blender or food processor. Scrape all the sides and lid from the coconut milk so you don’t lose the cream.
- Blend it together until it’s homogenous.
- Add the melted chocolate (microwaved in 30-second intervals and stirred), and peanut butter to the blender. Pulse until it’s incorporated but not mixed too well so it still forms small chunks.
- Scoop it out and place it in a freezer-safe container. Freeze for 4 hours to allow it to firm up prior to serving.
- When serving, leave out at room temperature for about 5 minutes to allow it to soften so you can scoop it.
Vegan Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream
- 1 can coconut milk (15 oz) refrigerated overnight
- 2 tbsp chocolate, melted
- 3 tbsp natural peanut butter
- 2 tbsp maple syrup
- ½ tsp vanilla
- Refrigerate the coconut milk overnight to allow it to be cold (firmer).
- Add in the melted chocolate (microwave on 30 second intervals until it's melted), and peanut butter.
- Pulse until the peanut butter and chocolate are incorporated, but stopping before it gets totally mixed in.
- Scoop the ice cream out into a freezer safe container and place in the freezer for 4 hours to set.
- Scoop out and enjoy!
Thanks for reading! Did you try this vegan chocolate peanut butter ice cream? Let me know what you thought in the comments below!