While it’s fall everywhere, southern California still feels like summer. Back home, my family have been hit by snow storms already, and here we are, high of 75 and sun. So while a lot of you may not be interested in ice cream, we sure are eating this stuff like crazy here. What I love about making homemade ice cream is you control how much sugar and any other ingredients go in. This recipe is light and contains no added or refined sugars.
What is so great about this recipe is that it’s literally based with fruit. Frozen banana and frozen strawberry. Toss in a handful of chocolate chips or cacao nibs, and some coconut milk, blend, and voila! This seriously is one of our new favorite desserts. We’ve not let one banana go bad since I started making this, which is saying something! Not only does this make a great ice cream dessert, it can also be used for a smoothie bowl base. Add a bit extra coconut milk and it’s perfect for a smoothie bowl.
What you’ll love about this vegan chocolate strawberry ice cream?
- It’s a dairy-free dessert that is so good and contains no highly-processed substitutes or other ingredients. Store-bought dairy-free ice creams have so many ingredients added. This one is great because it’s just 4 simple ingredients.
- Easy to make. All you need are your four ingredients and a high-performance blender. I’ve actually used an immersion blender to finish it too if your blender can’t quite blend it as thick as you’d like.
- Satisfying. One thing that I hate from many healthy or vegan desserts is that I’m constantly craving more. This is great because you can make a nice large bowl, eat it all, and feel finished after. 🙂
How to make chocolate strawberry vegan ice cream?
- Freeze bananas sliced if you haven’t already gotten some in the freezer. You’ll want them close to frozen solid. Same goes for strawberries. We always get a big bag of frozen from Costco, but you can cut and freeze your own.
- Add frozen fruit to the blender or food processor. Add chocolate chips and coconut milk.
- Close and blend until smooth. It will be very thick, but don’t add too much liquid or it’ll end up as a smoothie. If your blender can’t quite handle it, try using the food processor, or even get it slightly broken up and then finish it up with an immersion blender.
- Scoop into a bowl and enjoy fresh. For firmer ice cream, place in the fridge for 30 minutes and then enjoy!
4-Ingredient Vegan Chocolate Strawberry Ice Cream
- 2 bananas sliced and frozen
- 1 cup frozen strawberries
- 2 tbsp chocolate chips
- ½ cup coconut milk canned
- Freeze the bananas and strawberries if you haven't already gotten them frozen. They should be close to solid.
- Blend until smooth and all fruit has been broken down. Add more coconut milk if it's too thick.
- Scoop into bowls and serve! You can also place in the freezer for 30 seconds to let it solidify more if it's quite loose.
Did you try this vegan ice cream at home? I’d love to know what your thoughts were in the comments below or with a rating above. It helps me continue to improve Cass Clay Cooking recipes for all of you reading. Thanks for taking time to check this out.