Now even though they’re healthier, doesn’t mean a free for all. The ingredients for these include peanut butter, oats, pecans, dark chocolate or chocolate chips, and coconut oil. That said, these are packed with a lot of nutrient rich foods so eating the whole batch is going to pack on the calories.
What you will love about these snacks?
- They’re a healthier alternative to many holiday treats. Bring a batch of these to the next holiday party and let your friends be surprised.
- Vegan friendly. Use a vegan chocolate and you have a vegan dessert.
- Delicious. These babies are so good, you’ll need to exercise caution when eating them.
- Packed full of protein and fiber. Between the nuts and oats you’re getting something other than sugar from your dessert.
How to make these peanut butter bombs?
- Start by mixing together the oats, peanut butter, and pecans.
- Take 1 tablespoon of the mixture and form it into a ball (or as close to as you can). This is quite sticky, especially if you’re using natural peanut butter.
- Place on parchment paper lined baking sheet or plates. Place in the fridge for at least 30 minutes to set.
- Check the firmness of the balls and when they feel more tacky than sticky, you can start to melt down the chocolate.
- Place chocolate and coconut oil in a bowl and heat in microwave for 30 second intervals. Stir between. When the chocolate is mostly melted, continue stirring until all chunks become smooth.
- Using a spoon or fork, dip the balls into the chocolate and flip to get all sides.
- If you want to top them with anything, do it now. I prefer unsweetened shredded coconut, sea salt, or chopped nuts. The photos above show the shredded coconut.
- Place back on parchment paper. Once all balls are dipped, place the plates or sheets back into the fridge to allow chocolate to harden.
- Once set, about 30 minutes, place in air tight storage containers. They can keep for one week in the fridge or freeze for about 2 months.
Looking for some other ideas on snacks for a holiday party or just for you? Check out this homemade granola recipe. Throw together a parfait with some vanilla greek yogurt, the granola, and some fresh fruit (berries and banana are my favorites).
Chocolate Covered Peanut Butter Bombs
- ⅔ cup rolled oats
- ½ cup natural peanut butter (or other nut butter)
- 2 tbsp chopped pecans
- 2 tsp coconut oil
- ¼ cup chocolate chips or chunks of dark chocolate
- In a bowl, mix together the oats, peanut butter, and pecans until the peanut butter is well mixed.
- With a 1 tablespoon spoon, scoop the mixture and form into round balls. Place on parchment paper lined baking sheets. The mixture is very sticky so you won’t be able to roll like cookie dough.
- Once balls have been formed with all the mixture, place the sheets in the refrigerator for 30-60 minutes until firm.
- Once firm, place coconut oil and chocolate chips in a small bowl and microwave for 30 second intervals. Mix in between until chocolate chips are melted.
- Dip the balls in the chocolate with a fork or spoon and roll to get the whole ball smothered. If you want to place toppings on the balls, now is the time. Sprinkle topping of choice over the top fo the ball (shredded coconut, sea salt, chopped nuts, etc.).
- Place back on baking sheets. Once all balls are dipped, place the baking sheets back in the refrigerator for 30-60 minutes until the chocolate has hardened.
- Remove from parchment paper and place in air tight containers. Store in the refrigerator for one week, or freeze for up to 2 months. Keep cold until eating!
Let me know if you made these and what you thought in the comments below.
Pingback: Copycat Healthy Vegan Snickers without Nougat - Cass Clay Cooking
Pingback: Vegetarian Meal Prep Guide December 2019 - Cass Clay Cooking