One thing that I will always remember from childhood is my family’s love of cinnamon rolls. My sister and I were obsessed with the cheap Pillsbury packs that came with all the sugar and processed things that made them taste so good. As an adult, I still fall for these indulgences on occasion, but I have learned there are alternatives that can provide the nostalgia and not be packed with sugar and might even be a little healthy. This healthy vegan cinnamon roll oatmeal is one of those!
This recipe uses no added sugar and is high in fiber, making it a great recipe for those of you, like me, who have cravings for sweet goodies, but don’t want to indulge those with terrible options like cinnamon rolls or other deliciously sweet breakfast treats. It also makes just enough for one large serving (or two smaller servings if you were going to serve it with something extra). It’s easily doubled or multiplied to make enough for a family.
What you’ll love about this healthy vegan cinnamon roll oatmeal?
- It’s vegan. How often can you get the delicious flavor of cinnamon rolls in vegan foods? No sweat here!
- It’s naturally sweetened. Using chopped dates and a bit of maple syrup, this contains no added sugar.
- Kid approved! This is the first oatmeal that my daughter has eaten so much of I had to give her more. And I didn’t even give her much of the cinnamon ‘sugar’ topping.
- Easy to make. You don’t need to worry about the cinnamon filling and the cinnamon sugar topping like you’d normally do for cinnamon rolls. This only uses the cinnamon filling as a topping so it’s easy to get put together.
How to make this vegan healthy cinnamon roll oatmeal?
- In a small saucepan mix together the oatmeal, milk, salt, and chopped dates. Bring to a light boil or simmer and stir for about 5 minutes.
- As the oatmeal starts to thicken, add the seed mixture and cinnamon to the pan. Stir it in and continue to cook until it’s at the desired texture.
- Stir together 1 tbsp maple syrup and 1 tsp cinnamon for the topping. If it’s not thick enough or too thick adjust with more cinnamon or maple syrup to get the desired consistency.
- Scoop the oats into a bowl and top with the maple cinnamon topping. Enjoy warm!
Healthy Vegan Cinnamon Roll Oatmeal
- 3/8 cup steel-cut oats
- 1 cup plant milk
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 chopped dates
- pinch of sea salt
- 1 tbsp mix seeds (chia, flaxseed, hemp hearts, etc)
- 1 tbsp pure maple syrup
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Optional dollop of non-dairy vanilla yogurt
- In a small saucepan, mix together oats, milk, salt, and dates. Bring to a light boil.
- Stir occasionally, about 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, add the cinnamon and seeds. Stir well. Continue cooking until you've achieved the desired texture.
- Remove from heat and spoon into a serving bowl.
- Mix together the maple syrup and cinnamon. Stir well until combined.
- Top the oatmeal with this. Also spoon a dollop of non-dairy vanilla yogurt on top for added flavor (optional).
Thanks for stopping and if you made it this far, reading this post! Did you try out the vegan cinnamon roll oatmeal? I’d love to hear your thoughts in the comments below!